Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Overgrowth



Well, it has been longer than I'd hoped, but finally I have a chance to share one of my new prints with you.


This new etching is 20 x 30 cm , and was made with a combination of hardground, softground and aquatint techniques. It is printed with both black and sepia inks, and the touches of green and pink were added by hand-colouring with watercolour.


I've included a lot of close shots here, since this print is so full of pattern and intricate details. There is plenty here to reward a long look!


I was also quite pleased with the way some of these close-up photos show the subtly three-dimensional character of the print. Because the intaglio printing process uses extreme pressure to press thick, dampened paper into the crevices of the copper plate (where the ink sits), the ink is actually deposited on the paper in little hills and ridges.


It took quite a while, but I really enjoyed forming all these less than fingerprint-sized faces and slowly stippling in the patterns of their clothes. And how better to spend rainy early spring days than using an etching needle to help tendrils of ivy to creep up the sides of this boat, wrap themselves around its mast, or spread out between the plants growing on this shore?


Of course, at the same time I was growing the ivy, I was sharpening the knife and sickle that would be used to cut back that ivy and possibly free the boat.


Because of the slow way in which I work, I always seem to have a backlog of ideas for things I am meaning to make but haven't yet found time for. Since at least last autumn lots of vegetal people have been creeping into my thoughts, so expect more of them in the future.


 Though perhaps this really isn't so different for me after all.


Recently I have been feeling that, more than ever before, the things I am working on have a lot of dialogue between themselves. Ideas are passed back and forth between works, elaborated on and deepened. It is a good place to be in, I think. All I need now is more time to work!!  


Anyway, with some of the things that have been making the past few months so particularly busy now out of the way, I am hoping to be able to post more regularly from now on. Which is great because I have lots of things I have been waiting to share with you!


7 comments:

  1. oh, i am in love with this print...all of the patterns, and the growing and cutting away of vegetation, and the boat itself! each coat, each shawl, each tendril of hair and plant...the grain of the wood... it's amazing, there is so much to revel in, so much time to be spent here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I love your etching techniques and how they do produce that slight three-dimensional look. I can see how much work went into this and wish I could see this in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi lovely piece of work !!! The wood grain on the boat - maybe you pressed some wood into soft ground ?? formidable !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing piece, Jodi!! Love the patterns and details. Once could truly lose themselves in the details and make up a whole boatload of stories (hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove the worlds you weave with your tiny scratchings Jodie and this one is pulsing with life! The fabulous clothing, hair-do's. The twins come to mind as I look over the faces and figures - there's a sense of thrilling anxious anticipation for their voyage ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and immediately struck an emotional response I'm still trying to process. The longer look is indeed rewarded. Thank you for sharing your lovely artwork, photographs, and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so very much for the very kind, kind words. They make my heart (and my cheeks) glow! I am delighted to hear that you lovely people enjoyed it.

    Aine, thank you! For the wood grain of the boat I just used plain old hardground actually. There is a bed in the flat we are renting which was my muse; it has a lovely and pronounced grain on the headboard.

    ReplyDelete