Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Early April


A small hello from the beginning of spring, a mug of rich cocoa, a little break.

This is a day of grinding granite skies and brightest yellow flowers blazing, and of fat tulips in glowing white and cool purple on the table. In a turpentine reek, by the open window, a new layer of etching ground is hardening onto a sheet of copper.



While I have have been busy not writing here, I have done a lot of wandering out in the streets, watching the people and the weather, watching the birds moving from branch to branch.


It seems like the spring has been slipping in slowly and quietly for a long time, and now suddenly there are little riots in the branches and nests being built on all the rooftops.


Of course, I have not only been out wandering. I have also been keeping busy learning some new skills in these past weeks. At the moment everything is mostly still caught up in the theoretical, but soon, soon I should have some new things to show you!  


The day we took these photos was maybe the first time I have ever gotten close enough to a magnolia tree to really smell the flowers, as they always seem to be locked away behind someone's fence. How lovely they are, and each tree so different from the others!

I hope wherever you are April is treating you well, whatever you are choosing to do in it!


P.S. Milla's husband is taking over a business which makes tools for traditional wood carving as it is done on the Northwest coast of America. They have a small campaign under way to raise some funds to cover the costs. Go have a look if you can.

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous magnolias! Ours are about a week or two behind with the colder spring we've had.

    Thanks to the link to Milla who is Finnish - wow! I will have fun getting to know her blog.

    I look forward to seeing what you have been up to, Joli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marja-Leena, magnolias are always just so stunning aren't they? My mom keeps telling me she still has snow in her yard (though, obviously that'll be quite different to your part of Canada), and we've just had no winter at all over here, even on Christmas there were some small cherry blossoms. Strange year.
      And glad to point you in Milla's direction too. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. glorious magnolia, one and all, they are my favorite flower!

    the photos are stunning.

    and you are right, it is difficult to find magnolias, open to the public.

    spring is arrived here in Florida, USA, and feels like summer.

    thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we find them extra lovely because they are always out of reach? No, I don't think so either... ; )

      Summerish weather sounds lovely. I keep thinking how wonderful it'd be to be able to walk around barefoot again.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you found a park full of magnolias to celebrate the arrival of spring with Jodi, and a great spot to observe and be inspired *!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so lovely! The camera practically jumped up and snapped the photos itself!

      Delete
  4. Oh thank you so so much for the shout-out <3! One of the things I miss the most about cities, is magnolias. You never see an abundance of madly blooming, but non-fruit-bearing trees there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I never really thought about it that way before, but that's so true. I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone though... when I lived in Japan I was in a tiny fishing village and they grew all sorts of incredible decorative flowering trees and plants right beside fields of onions. Why not?

      Delete
  5. What beautiful photos, Jodi. My favourite is the close-up with only one petal remaining - I always thought that magnolias belonged to a more prehistoric place and your picture highlights their alien nature. More photos of your springtime, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hita.... be careful what you ask for though... it could unleash an overwhelming flood of flower photos! It's hard to be restrained in springtime.

      I hope all is well with you. And I I loved your wooden swan!

      Delete
  6. what glorious photos! we have loads of magnolias here, they are amazing trees and with such a glorious scent... there's no reason to be restrained!! more, more!!

    also, thank you a lot for your link to milla's page and indiegogo, i have passed it on to several and am digging in my couch as well, the tools are so appealing it makes me a bit more excited about carving a puppet (which until now has been more terrifying than exciting, haha!)

    ReplyDelete