Thursday, 1 August 2013

The Great Ordinary


Hello! I have been hiding out, catching up, and easing slowly back into everyday life.  Just after my last post I caught the train to Edinburgh, and the next day I spent wandering the streets of Copenhagen alone, before falling asleep in Helsinki, reunited with my husband who'd been off for a week presenting a paper at a conference in Estonia. Together we adventured through Finland for a week, before heading off to a family reunion back in France. Still, crazy whirlwind weeks aside, I've been hiding out at home in Scotland for almost two weeks now, so it is definitely time to reconnect again!


It feels like a long time since I've had the experience of returning home after travels. All the old seems new again, and a sweet, quiet feeling of retreat seems to hover over everything. Looking at things from this particular perspective, other approaches to the ordinary seem to present themselves.

One thing I have been thinking about is how posts here sometimes take up a lot more energy than they ought to. So a new aim is to make shorter posts, which will hopefully turn into more posts... maybe even photos of works in progress if I can work up the nerve!

Anyway, I can hear the front door opening, so I'd better be going. A Russian circus is in town tonight!


5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about posts and time and energy... its daunting! But, I really like taking time with them, trouble is that lately that has meant not posting for WEEKS! I loved Finland when I was there, though I was only there a few days on route to the USSR when it was called that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some posts are so much work, and for me, many of those end up never written. Yes, shorter and more often works!

    Your trip sounds wonderful, Jodi! I'm eagerly looking forward to reading and seeing photos of your travels, and of course especially the Finland part, whenever you can manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these photos...the strange hanging ship, the birds eyeing us from above...
    i am happy to hear from you! i agree, the posting is daunting, but it is like anything else that matters, it takes time :) and your posts are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerianna,
    Sounds like an adventure! Before deciding to go to Finland we were thinking of maybe going to Saint Petersburg since it is also very beautiful, and close to Estonia, and I've been studying Russian, etc. But even now it seems like such a chore (and an expensive one) to go there with all the crazy visa issues, so I can't even imagine what it must have been like before.
    Also, I know your posts must take a ton of time, but love reading them, and they are definitely worth it!

    Marja-leena,
    I've been wanting to write you and tell you that for a little while now I haven't been able to see your blog. I'm not sure, but I think maybe the site that hosts your photos has been infected with malware or something. I wanted to email you personally to let you know, but I can't actually get to your page to find your email. I really miss reading your posts!
    Anyway, I think this will be the week of Finland love on this blog, so stay tuned!!


    Zoe,
    Thanks! Anyway, well see what happens with the posts. Hopefully I will manage to free things up a little. I sometimes sit down to write a post, but then I end up reading the whole internet twice before I've written anything. That's what I really want to fix, if I'm honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi, yes my blog was down for about a week end of June to early July with a supposed malware, but it's been back up since. Do let me know if you are still having a problem seeing it for I've not been aware of it being so. (Will email you as well).

    ReplyDelete