Wednesday, 3 August 2011

The spinning top takes a nap.



    Today haar came in off the sea, a thick fog that rushes in and makes everything disappear all at once.  Soon again it drifted out on the waves, the sun came out, the evening fell, then blue night caterwauled in the lanes.  Between this post and the last one I have travelled across Scotland and back twice.  There have been whales and castle gardens, hermit crabs and harpists, campfires and sitting in cold pools made by mountain streams.  My mother came over from Canada too, and we hunted in the woods and on the hills, by the sea and into the city shops for pretty things together.  And at the end of all of it, I feel still too wrapped up in travels and talk to write much of anything in this neglected little place.  Today someone asked what I am working on right now, and I had to say I wasn't sure.  But soon, soon I will have pictures to share and stories to tell, and I will catch up on yours.

8 comments:

  1. today there was haar on our Pacific Ocean (45th paralel north) beach too, altho I never knew what to call it... very low tide and warmth, then a little coolness coming from the north to tangle up some haar.. altogether a dreamy morning on the beach with tiny agates everywhere. there was even a beautiful warrior man with a proud stance, flowing hair, a tattoo on the back of his calf and a large wooden walking stick who appeared out of the haar. I watched him with a beating heart and said to myself, "wow, there is a beautiful warrior man!" he slowly dissappeared up the beach. I went and put my feet in his footsteps, (big feet with a high arch he had) just to make sure I wasn't dreaming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you are working on being in full-bloom with the rest of the flowers?
    When you are on the outbreath, I look forward to hearing/seeing some of your journeys... happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A month well spent! Can't wait to see more once you're settled back in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to!

    Vickie, what a splendid image! Lucky you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Jodi - I was thinking you may have
    followed your prints to Sofia for a little adventure but it sounds like you have had an extra special time of it exploring Scotland with your Mum. I look forward to seeing the enchantments you uncovered. Smiles to you*!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. haar! what a fascinating new word...i love it.
    beautiful writing, as always....i look forward to what comes from this "gestation" period :)
    --zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry, I think many of us feel the same at this time of year. Too full of experiences and living to be able to process it in words as yet.

    I immediately recognised the deliciously quirky gatehouse of Ardverikie, set in one of my favourite parts of Scotland. That inland beach on Loch Laggan never fails to astound me. This photo, though, is unusual and beautiful, not to mention reversible like a playing card. I've passed this building dozens of times on my way to Skye, but never noticed before how the turret roof echoes the shape of the conifers behind it. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the stories and comments! I should say to Vickie and Zoe, that I have been corrected... one should say 'the haar', the definite article being integral. ;)

    Dancing Beastie, you are spot on, as always! Ardverikie... I'm sure you had already anticipated the post that follows. We were, like you, on the way to Skye.

    I hope everyone's summers are going splendidly!

    ReplyDelete