Tuesday, 25 January 2011

The sky stood on the roof and spat.


    A haze of rain and seagull song at the window.  I don't think the ocean would be visible from the high point at the end of the street today.  It seems, rather, like a day for a walk with a seal, up river from the sea, the line where the water stops blurred by the wet air.  Or maybe for strolling in the still-cobbled parts of town, rivers of rain under the eaves of the granite buildings.

    First though, copper plates, acid baths, inky hands and radio dramas.  And tonight, Doric language poetry.  I can't believe that January has almost finished creaking past us, all wrapped up in the longest, darkest nights, and the brightest, shortest days.  I am wondering if, in Scotland, February sometimes wears flowers in her hair.


   

7 comments:

  1. Sealsongs are calling me.... a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fantastic photos! the first one reminds me of the buildings in a clive hicks-jenkins painting, it's startling to see it in "real life".
    and what a creature!
    thank you...
    --zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky to catch that seal in your photo! Your pictures are lovely and melancholy - perfect treats for the a grey and snowy day I'm having in my corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two lovely, lovely photos and wonderful great writing ! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments... I really do appreciate them!

    It's always great fun seeing little heads poking up from the water, following along... I guess the water in the river must be warmer than the sea.

    And I think I'm going to have to take a look at some Clive Hick-Jenkins paintings again, Zoe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first glance I thought this was Roseisle beach, but the line of the coast is wrong. So perhaps it's Balmedie? Put me out of my misery!
    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda, welcome!

    This beach will be very familiar to you, I think, since you studied in Aberdeen... it's the beach behind the Royal Aberdeen Golf Club, over around the Donmouth Nature Reserve. The top photo is looking in the direction of the city centre, but the land visible would be located past the harbour. The second photo was taken a little way up the Don river. I love walking around there... it's so close and so lovely!

    ReplyDelete