Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Long Evenings of Candle Lighting

Cat on a roof behind the house.

   I've hermitted myself away this past little while.  The views have mostly been peering out through dusk and windows.


   There have been some exceptions, of course.  I started to take a Russian class, which so far has been very nice indeed.  I even love studying my small collection of vocabulary; it makes me feel like I am travelling.  There have been strolls down empty streets on misty nights.  A chimney sweep visited.  We went to a party full of the teachers from the French school that sits in an almost-castle not far away.  That was also a little like travelling.  But mostly I have been planning and reading and drawing, and so I almost forgot that I was all cloistered away.

   Two of the drawings you can see around you in the new layout (but others are secrets, for now).

Bigger version of the dandelion in the background.

  Tomorrow I think I'll have to rejoin the world a little. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie, I was only thinking about you yesterday so it was lovely to see you had visited me overnight.

    Sometimes it's nice to be shut away, especially when the days are a little grey or damp. The dandelion drawing is wonderful you captured the pockets of the leaves and the softness of those 'clocks'

    I take my hat off to you learning Russian*!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new drawings are lovely! it's beautiful here, as always. how fun to take russian! i'm studying serbian now, and they use a similar alphabet...there are some shared words...
    good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,

    Great to hear from you too! Also, I think it is really neat to have a word for the seeds heads of the dandelions. I've never heard them called clocks before, but I like it. I would have probably said they were called wishes, but I think that's really more for the big, stray seeds you sometimes find floating around, isn't it?

    Hey Zoe,

    Serbian sounds really interesting to learn, too. Once, on a train into Slovenia, I spoke with a Croatian girl who was studying comparative literature from different countries in former Yugoslavia, and she basically had no problems switching from the literature and languages of each country, she said. I guess you'll be set once you've learned Serbian!
    I think there are a lot of commonalities with the Slavic languages. The Polish students in my class seem to be finding Russian pretty easy too, except for the alphabet. (Though it should be said that they are brilliant and probably speak English better than I do!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just remember as a child playing tell the time by blowing onto their seed heads ... the number of puffs it took to blow all the seeds = the time of day*!*

    ReplyDelete