Friday, 19 March 2010

A Day in December

   Last Thursday I posted a sort of sneak peek of today's post, and I'm very happy to be able to follow it up today, because it means that I have finally completed an etching started what seems like ages ago.

                                        (click picture to enlarge)                                         

   Back in December I posted about cards I'd made for the holidays, and how the inspiration for them came from looking through old vacation photos from a trip to Romania.  The reason why I was looking at those photos was to see pictures we'd taken in the town of Sighetu Marmaţiei during a big Christmas festival as a reference for making this etching.  We happened to arrive in town the morning of a a big yearly festival where people come from all the surrounding villages wearing their towns' traditional Christmas pantomime costumes and then they perform local songs and things in front of a judge (a man dressed like a king from a fairy tale, crown and all).  I can't be sure if anyone won anything though... because we got too caught up in the swirl of things.  Costumed men sweeping women up beside them on decorated horses, little groups of musicians playing together, children tearing about through the crowds, and everywhere things to wonder at.
   For this etching, I picked out some of my favourite things from that day, and put them all together.  I don't even want to think about the things which made this such a long process (from late January until now)... things melting on my copperplate, etc. If I pull another print of this, I think I will make it a bit darker, because I'm afraid that some of the shading gets lost when the print isn't so dark.  For example, the shadows in the folds of the accordion.  But generally, I like it and I'm glad to have something I can hang up to make me think of that lovely day.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to preserve your happy day memory.
    I can imagine the interesting "foreign" sounding music and voices swirling around this Christmas gathering. You must have felt like you had stepped into an earlier time.
    There's a couple of mean looking bird/men staring out at me, the one directly behind the woman looks like he belongs on a mountain top. It's lovely to know some traditions are still alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heisann!
    Sure, I will be honored to be on your bloglist!
    Thank you!
    And I enjoy your blog very much, but I have had no time to study the posts deeply. May be during Easter!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bimbimbie,

    I agree, it's nice just to be able to remember that somewhere these things are happening.
    That sort of mountain man, I'd love to know what he's supposed to represent. I don't know if you can really see it, but he has a cowbell attached to him and I have no idea what that thing he was holding was meant to be... it looked like a big long cone covered loosely in black cloth. The other man that had a similar mask (down in the bottom left corner) had sheep horns on his mask.... I'm not sure if those details are obvious in my etching or not. Any thoughts on what it all might be about?

    Hi Vilt og vakkert,

    Super... I'll put you on then! You have a nice week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... wonder if they represent the good or bad folklore figures? Perhaps he blew down that cone/horn to warn the herdsmen or he used it to hit people over the head if he was a baddie *!*

    ReplyDelete