Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Passing the time until Barcelona


   I have been enjoying the online exhibit about King Arthur put on by the Bibliothèque Nationale de France lately.  There was a real exhibit here in Paris which went along with the online version, but it ended in January and I missed it.  Still, they've made lots of manuscripts available to leaf through and if you can understand French, there are interesting guided tours by the curator as well.  I'd always thought of the King Arthur legend as being very English until I met my husband, whose family is Breton and French.  Breton people really feel strongly that this is their story, so much so that the first time this came up my husband just looked a little confused that anyone would think otherwise.  Anyway, the very informative curator has been helping to clear this up a little for me in his tours.

   And... it's vacation time here again, so late tomorrow night we will be arriving in Barcelona if all goes well.  I've never been to Spain, and I can't wait! 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jodie thanks for your recent visit and comment on my blog. We were in Paris over Christmas and it was just wonderful. This past week I've been listening to Sir Nigel (by Arthur Conan Doyle) all about chivalry between knights of France and England in the 1300's so I'm interested in hearing the Breton story of Arthur's Legend, thanks for the link, if I can't follow it I'll have to ask you to tell me the Breton story.

    Hope you are enjoying yourself in Barcelona*!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bimbimbie,

    I hope I wasn't misleading... you wont get the actual story so much from that website, but information about the story -- like the first written mentions of it, and things of that nature. I hope you enjoy it all the same.

    I loved Barcelona, thanks. And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed looking at the art and then found my way to some other links that had an overview of the exhibition and some background information to the Arthur legend ... so much of early history is heavily woven in mystery and fact that's what makes it so interesting. I've been enjoying your earlier posts too*!*

    ReplyDelete