Wednesday, 9 December 2009

The Eye of the Storm






Finally a bit of calm while everyone's out.  So here are some lovely autumn colours which we were lucky enough to see in Japan, since the season is a bit later there.  One of the things I miss most about Canada is having real seasons.  This is always hardest in the autumn, since the leaves in France just don't change the same way the ones back home do, especially in Paris where they just crumple up and die and that's the end of it.  Plus there's no Halloween... but that's another matter. 
 Anyway, this past week I've been busy drawing in preparation for a new etching I've just started work on.   I started an etching class a few months ago.  It runs through the city hall of Paris, and is between 9 and 12 hours of class per week. It's meant to be a three-year course, but I may only make it through the first year, since I'm not sure how long we'll be staying here.  I really love the class so far -- I have an amazing prof and plus it takes me to Belleville, which is one of the more interesting parts of the city.  

   Since I don't want to show something which is only half done, I'll instead share the first etching I finished in the class. I should note that the deer in the picture are heavily influenced by an illustration I saw in a book of illuminated manuscripts. It was a bit of an experiment and I don't normally like to base my drawings etc. on other people's work; that was a first for me. So, I can't really take credit here.

    The thing about etching is that the copperplate itself is so alluring.  I tried to take a good photo of the plate itself, but that was no easy feat.  Here's my best effort (which didn't turn out so well actually -- if you click on it to enlarge it, it looks better).  This was taken on my mother-in-law's gorgeous tabletop:And continuing in that direction, the other project I've been working on in the past couple of days is a lino cut for making cards for the holidays.  

Tomorrow I plan to pick up some paper and also some printing ink, so an image of the prints from this lino cut will be coming soon.  Until then, red leaves for these grey days.

1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous post! lucky to have spent some autumn time in japan, i really hope to go there soon. the photos are lovely...
    i'm very curious about etching, i hope to see some more of your work from that class here. the deer are lovely, but i really love those trees you made!

    ReplyDelete